The objective of this plan is to reduce waste to landfill from Eventfinda Stadium (EFS) by more than 50% by June 30th 2021 and then increasing to 70% by June 30 2022. The plan is delivered in two stages
- Stage 1 – Internal Waste Management and reduction (staged from March 1st 2019)
- Stage 2 – External Waste Management and reduction by clients (introduction July 1st 2020)
Stage 1 – Internal Waste Management and Reduction
Each year EFS sends over 300 m3 of rubbish to landfill. This does not include waste introduced by hirers. If we include this waste the number increases to somewhere around 700-750 m3. This needs to decrease.
- From March 1st 2019 EFS will no longer serve anything in packaging that is not commercially compostable from any of our concession or F&B outlets. This will be a hard edge and will not be negotiable. Where clients, or vendors request specific things from F&B these things must adhere to the compostable outcomes. We simply will no longer serve anything in single use plastics or items not able to be composted. Recyclable or biodegradable are not defined terms and are therefore not suitable. Please see the “what is the difference” link here for information on why.
- From March 1st 2019 we will introduce a simple bin sorting protocol based around three factors we will ask our guests to judge.
- Did I buy it here?
- Did I bring it with me?
- Is it a bottle?
Bins will be marked according to these statements in order to help guests and clients judge what goes in which bins.
- All “non-controlled” events such as day to day basketball will be hosted with a reduced number of bin locations but each location will present all three bin types.
- All “controlled or ticketed” events will be given the choice of only one bin type, and that will be “I bought it here”. This means ticketed events will be unable to bring food into the venue.
- All compostable waste will be handled by Green Gorilla bins and taken to a compostable facility. Bottles will be returned to a bottle bin and landfill bins into a reduced quantity of waste management bins.
- From January 1st 2020 EFS will no longer provide bin services to others including our anchor users.
Stage 1 – Education/Communication
All users regardless of their type will need to be update don these new protocols and have enough time to inform their partners of the new requirements. Care should be taken to make sure everyone knows as far in advance as possible.
Distributed around the building will be a series of posters and on the video wall a video outlining the reasons for the change and supporting the separation in our bins. The objective is to passively educate our frequent visitors (players) on how the bin system works and what our aim is.
Stage 2 – External Waste Management and reduction by clients (introduction July 1st 2021)
We acknowledge that we do not control all elements of what comes into our buildings by clients. Events such as a home show or exhibition generate large amounts of rubbish which is of a mixed format as do concerts and other events. Our aim in stage 2 is to reduce waste to landfill from EFS by implementing user pays systems across our events for waste in order to encourage our clients to reduce their output.
Key steps in Stage 2 are as follows…
- From July 1st 2020 EFS will no longer provide “default rubbish” as an included item within the venue hire fee we charge.
- Waste bins will be implemented on a “per event” basis with the cost directly passed on to the client with no mark up.
- Education will focus on a “bring it with you, take it with you” process of encouraging exhibitors and event managers to be conscious of the waste they generate and taking it with them in order to reduce the landfills.
Stage 2 – Education/Communication
Education of repeat clients began in March of 2019 in order to have them prepared for the 2020 & 2021 event calendar.
All waste leaving EFS site will be sorted and tracked to ensure as much as possible is commercially composted by our partners at Green Gorilla and cross contamination is kept to a minimum.
The Leadership team of the Stadium will report to the board monthly on the volumes of waste generated by category.